Monday, February 25, 2008

If Jesus Paid It All, Why Cant You Pay Me??

EMAIL FROM A FRIEND:
SG, I need some REAL advice. I have been apart of this ministry since 2001 and the person over the ministry asked me to be their assistant in October which I agreed to do. After attending a workshop in June they asked if I was interested in writing for their newletter which I was and so there began my existence within the ministry. The newsletter, while creative and needed, lacks professionalism and I have tried to make suggestions but I have noticed that they are very defensive.....

Here is an email they sent me last week:

Good morning, XXXX,

Hope all is well? I know that you are going through a lot. I want to discuss the class, as you may know you are only allowed to miss 2 classes I pray that you would finish the class. Please let me know if you have any plans on returning to class. Due to your state of being I decided to hold off on publishing your article until you are feeling better and for to let me know when you are ready to talk. Please let me know also if you have decided not be apart of the ministry as well.

Eloquently Yours,
XXXXXXXX XXXX


The "state of being" they are refering to is because I called her and told them that I would not be present at an meeting we had planned and that I wouldn't be at a class last week because my kids were sick. Then I told them that I just needed to take some time to myself. Mother had the flu which I told her earlier in the week but honestly this stems from some things that have been escalating within myself because I have have failed to find a tactful way to express that while I support the ministry I have reservations about my commitment to tasks and schedules that are forced upon me. This comment is the result of an earlier email sent out last week to those of us in the class and ministry in which I felt they were trying to call some people out, and I took offense to it because I think their tactics are sometimes a little over the top....So again, I noticed that since they sent that original email last week, they started texting me and emailing instead of calling like they were doing (which let me know that they were trying to feel me out) because I never responded to the email. but nevertheless, I just want make sure that I am addressing this properly. Thanks!!!

MY REPLY TO MY FRIEND:
I say cut your losses. Since they brought it up (in the email), I'd probably reply with something to this effect:

XXXXXXXXXX-

Thank you for your words of concern. While I appreciate the opportunity of ministry through your publication, regretfully I am resigning my role as staff writer and subsequently, will not be returning to class. May God bless you and work through your vision to reach readers everywhere.

Best regards,
XXXX XXXXX

Your "state of being"???? Girl, shut up. This whole email reads WRONG... I don't like the tone AT ALL.
I think you should be up front and let them know that YOU have made the decision based on what's best for YOU and your kids, if you MUST have a talk with them. But honestly, pettiness and unprofessionalism doesn't merit explanation and I wouldn't go out of my way to give her one. Now, you should fault yourself for not just coming out about this before, versus letting it escalate to you "needing to take time out"... But nevertheless, let it go. HOW MANY WAYS do you need God to show you that YOU need to be writing for YOURSELF?!?! Hardheadedness is a sin, ya know?

ALSO, I just noticed something I'd failed to comment on. THEY ASKED YOU TO BE THEIR ASSISTANT?? Did they offer you a salary? Or any compensatory wages??? NEGRO please! Some of this stress is self-inflicted if you didn't handle this PROFESSIONALLY from the jump. Have you not LEARNED anything from my chapter of working for FREE in ministry??? ESPECIALLY as an assistant. That's a tough job, esp for someone who already HAS FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT. You're trippin. You have a family! There isnt ANYTHING you should be doing for FREE as it relates to working. Period. Even the Bible says a man should be paid what he is due!

Chunk them the deuces… IN JESUS' NAME!

MY FRIEND's REPLY:
no they weren't paying me and no it wasn't discussed. Initially I honestly didn't realize what I was committing myself to (the exact things that you mentioned) but I was taking all of this as a "maybe God is directing me towards my purpose" so I was cool with the arrangement but then things just started getting out of hand....

MY FINAL WORDS:

And you tell them, "Don't let the doorknob hit ya where the GOOD LORD split ya. Amen!"

No comments: